We Create Blog Hop - August Step it Up

Welcome to our August Blog Hop! We are a group of Stampin’ Up! Demonstrators who create a simple project and then a “stepped up” version on the first of every month.  We use current Stampin' Up! products in our designs. I'm so happy you stopped by. 

Featuring . . . Dragonfly Dreams! This simple version is created with a Melon Mambo card base. I stamped the dragonfly and sentiment on to watercolor paper with black Archival Ink and embossed with black embossing powder. To get the watery look I first painted around the dragonfly by dipping a paintbrush generously in water and painting the water where I wanted my color to go. While wet, I placed a drop of Melon Mambo and a drop of Calypso Coral on my Silicone Craft Sheet. Next I used an Aqua Painter to pick up a small drop of color and gently dropped the color on the water that I previously painted. I alternated between Melon Mambo and Calypso Coral and tilted the watercolor paper to get it to move where I wanted it. Make sure you keep the paper wet with your paintbrush and water. 
To step it up, I used the same Melon Mambo base with a Basic Black mat. Instead of watercolor paper, I used Glossy White Cardstock. I sponged Melon Mambo and Calypso Coral all over the paper and spritzed it generously with water using the Stampin' Spritzer and dried it with the heat tool. Then I wet my hand and flung water drops with my fingers on the paper and let it dry again. I stamped the alphabet clusters from the Touches of Texture stamp set in Calypso Coral. I did the same technique with a scrap of Glossy White cardstock for my sentiment. Once dry I stamped the dragonfly with Basic Black Archival ink and embossed with Black embossing powder. I embossed the sentiment too. 

I die cut the embossed dragonfly from this completed piece with the coordinating Detailed Dragonfly Thinlits Die and sat it aside. Then I tilted the paper and adhered it onto the black base. Next, take your cut out dragonfly and glue the center only over the black cut out part but not directly over it. I moved it up a little to create a shadow effect. Do not glue the wings so that you can fluff them up for dimension. It's embellished with Iridescent Sequins and Gold Metallic Thread. I added clear Wink of Stella to the wings for shimmer.
As always, thank you for stopping by! We love comments too! To see what the other bloggers' stepped up cards look like, hop on over to Stampnjul by clicking Next Blog below:
You can order any of the supplies to make this card directly from me by clicking on the order button on the right, or by visiting www.stampinup.com and choosing me as your demonstrator. Check out all of the new stamps and 23 new bundled sets! For a list of all of the bundles, which save you 10% just click HERE.

Supply List:

  • Stamp Sets: Dragonfly Dreams, Touches of Texture
  • Colors & Ink:  Melon Mambo, Calypso Coral, Basic Black
  • DSP:  Watercolor Paper, Glossy White Cardstock
  • Embellishments: Basic Black Archival Ink, Sequin Assortment, Gold Metallic Thread, Black Embossing Powder, Clear Wink of Stella
  • Tools: Silicone Craft Sheet, Multipurpose Liquid Glue, Fine Tip Glue Pen, Stampin' Trimmer, Paper Snips, Heat Tool, Stamping Sponge, Stampin' Spritzer, Aqua Painter, Paint Brush
  • Big Shot: Detailed Dragonfly Thinlits

Comments

  1. I love the water coloring! These are both so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! My hands are still stained from my ink splotching yesterday...are yours? Lol. Thanks for the inspiration :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ha ha! I had ink everywhere! However, it's very therapeutic! Craft therapy!

      Delete
  3. Love how the black makes those bright pinks pop. The little drops add great interest

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts